SQL Power Business Intelligence Productivity Tools

SQL Power Software Forum

SQL Power Software Forum

[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
unable to checkout the source  XML
Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Suggestions
m--s

yaragalla_murali wrote:Hi m--s, still I have not succeded yet in creating a full mirror. It connects to the repo and after some time it says "200 ok connection lost". I had restarted it for few times and i got the same error message. So I think I have to try hard. Today I will try again. Hope I will succeded.

I've never experienced this from my location, so unfortunately I cannot help you. However, keep trying, as this behavior seems random, and you only need to complete the sync just once, so it seems being worth the effort.

yaragalla_murali wrote:Hi m--s, I tried to open the link "www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8 " but it says the requested resource not found. I am also interested in reading the article.

Yeah, I forgot to add "http://" at the beginning of the link - it seems strange, but in this case the forum's message parser linked to the local site instead. I've corrected it, so it should work out-of-the-box. The copy-pasted link, providced in your message, contained the space at the end, which also could invalidate the link in the case you pasted it in address-box of your browser.

Anyway, just in case, here is the corrected link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

Michał Skrzypek

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2008-01-28 16:30:38

Jonathan
SQL Power Developer

Hi guys,

I don't want to let the discussion of distributed version control versus branch/tag/merge version control grow into a running distraction from what's really important here: Architect product development. At the same time, I don't want our tool set to stand in the way of community building, contributions, or even just basic access to our source code!

So, what are the issues at hand?

1. Michał and Yaragalla are both having trouble checking out a copy of the source code from the Google Code hosted subversion repository.

2. Michał has expressed concerns that subversion's style of version control is outdated and poses a general barrier to development, even assuming we fix the checkout problems.

3. Yaragalla has expressed concerns that Google Code Hosting is generally a poor choice for housing the Architect's source code (and binaries? and wiki?) and that we should switch to SourceForge, or any other project hosting solution, as long as it's not Google Code Hosting.

4. I'm advocating the status quo, for these reasons:
  • a. It's already set up;

• b. It's well-documented;

• c. The support comes directly from the right people, who are always very responsive and helpful.

• Is this a fair assessment? I don't want to start off by debating the wrong points.

-Jonathan
    m--s

I think you've summed it up nicely, but don't forget about the Jeff's proposal of providing the read-only Mercurial repository. This wouldn't do any harm to anyone, and seems like a fair compromise for now...

Cheers,
    Michał Skrzypek
    yaragalla_murali

Hi that's nice, any way i dont mean to debate on google hosting. My only concern is I am very much interested and not able to take part as I can not check out the source code. ( whether google or any other thing, I would have expressed it the same way). You might not be knowing how hard I tried to checkout the source. It came out of utter most frustration. Ok leave it.

By the way i am using the command line tool listed on the following

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100&expandFolder=8100&folderID=8100

The last one on this page that is "svn-win32-1.4.6.zip" . This is what I am using. One more doubt is, they say that the client is different for apache2.2 and 2.0. I am using the client for apache2.2.

Thanks. I Have tried a lot and failed. So if any permanent solution pls let me know. Thanking you.
    Jonathan
    SQL Power Developer

Ok, thanks for your replies.

Beyond our ability (or inability) to put in the effort involved in creating a read-only Mercurial mirror of our repository, I have no issues with doing that. Michał, if you are interested in adapting your scripts to work in a unix shell, we'd be happy to provide you with an account on our nightly build server, where you can set up the mirror based on your existing batch files you're using now. Once it's working and we've determined it's not an undue security risk, we'll open the port and publish the URL alongside the subversion URL.

Long term, I am not opposed to abandoning subversion. Right now, we have our hands full and there is simply not time to change our development infrastructure. Once things calm down (and based on our current long-range plans, this will eventually happen ), we'll be much more open to experimenting with infrastructure.

Finally, for anyone (this includes both of you) who is having trouble with connectivity to the Google hosted repository, we can make our mirror available to you. Maybe it will work better.

How does that sound to everyone?

-Jonathan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2008-01-29 15:35:49

Jeff
    SQL Power Developer
    [Avatar]

Hi,

Have you tried using the 'svn update' command after the first failure? This should at least allow you to continue the checkout where you left off. At least that way you can get the sourcecode.

The command should be like:

So for example: 'svn update ./power-architect'

I think allowing you to try checking out of our own mirror would be the next logical step. This way, we can see if the problem truly is with Google Code, or if you are having problems connecting to Subversion repositories in general. (Or I suppose you can find another non-Google Code project with a Subversion repository and see if you have trouble checking out code from them?)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2008-01-29 15:53:09

-Jeff
    m--s

Jonathan wrote:[...] Michał, if you are interested in adapting your scripts to work in a unix shell, we'd be happy to provide you with an account on our nightly build server [...]

No problem at all - please PM me with the details.

Jonathan wrote:Long term, I am not opposed to abandoning subversion. Right now, we have our hands full and there is simply not time to change our development infrastructure. Once things calm down (and based on our current long-range plans, this will eventually happen ), we'll be much more open to experimenting with infrastructure.

It is good to see that you're open-minded. Anyway, I fully understand your point of view; these things cannot be done too fast, at least because the current developers will probably need some time and motivation to move to different toolchains. I'd be glad to help in providing this new opportunity (in the readonly form for now, but, technically, every local Mercurial repository is writable for the local user, so it can be fully tested by anyone)

Anyway, for now, I was just trying to make you aware of the new toys available for developers, therefore I consider this response being a success

Jonathan wrote:Finally, for anyone (this includes both of you) who is having trouble with connectivity to the Google hosted repository, we can make our mirror available to you. Maybe it will work better.

I don't need it, but I can test how reliably it works if you want. As for others, this seems to be quite beneficial for them.

Regards,
    Michał Skrzypek
    yaragalla_murali

Hi Jeff,
    I tried with other google projects too. It is the same. I am not able to checkout any google project properly(completly). I will try update command and see how it goes.

Hi Jonathan,
    Nice to hear that you are going to provide an alternative. I feel happy beacuse you valued a developer contribution. Have not given up that easily. This is something nice. And very happy to see you open minded.

Hi m--s,
    I am able to watch the video of Linus. Really nice. Something worth to know. Thank you.
    Jeff
    SQL Power Developer
    [Avatar]

Hi yaragalla,

Actually, I meant try to check out a project that is NOT in Google Code.

If you don't have one in mind, you can try this repository:

http://kettle.pentaho.org/svn/Kettle/trunk

So use the command

svn checkout http://kettle.pentaho.org/svn/Kettle/trunk <directory of your choice>

-Jeff
    Jeff
    SQL Power Developer
    [Avatar]

Hi all,

It's been a little while, so I just wanted to check back to see if there's been any new developments on the whole 'checking out the source code' issue?

-Jeff

Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Suggestions
    Go to: