SQL Power Business Intelligence Productivity Tools

SQL Power Software Forum

SQL Power Software Forum

[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
connecting to sql server 2008  XML
Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Discussion
tkolman

Does the latest version of power architect support SQL SErver 2008?

I am unable to connect using the provided JDBC driver
Tasse

Me too. I am not technical DBA and do not care how to set up RDBMS or connections. Connections have to work immediately or quite easily with a straightforward configuration help.

It seems that connecting to default-installation SQL Server 2008 is not a straightforward plug&play. It might be Microsofts fault but it leads to me not evaluating your product for large scale production services. Setting up different users, opening firewalls, getting jdbc-files etc. Too much wasted time and no connection yet. Its cheaper to buy a working proprietery product than waste expensive working time for this.

You should at least have straightforward instructions how to connect to main database-systems and solve the problems: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL. As they are installed by default settings. It would make non-technical data modellers and analysts easier to evaluate your product for modelling and data tasks - not wasting time to set up the infrastructure for these tasks.

You could also make instant plug&play example datawarehouse for evaluation purposes. Similar to Microsofts Adventureworks. Something to play with models and data in less than an hour including downloading, installing power architect and databases.

The problem is - how to connect instantly to default SQL Server 2008 database. Screenshot-documentation or step-by-step guide including problems encountered in default-installation.
MikeAKnox

Check out the Suggestion Forum

Jonathan posted a response to a similar issue. You might want to check out the jTDS, which is an open source driver for SQL Server and Sybase. I did this and had absolutely no issues. Search on "SQL Server 2008 Support"

If you don't care about setting up databases, and have no interest in connections, I fail to see how you can blame a very good product for not working or even evaluate it effectively.

Alternatively, you could try being a little more informative about your issue.
Tasse

MikeAKnox wrote:Check out the Suggestion Forum

Jonathan posted a response to a similar issue. You might want to check out the jTDS, which is an open source driver for SQL Server and Sybase. I did this and had absolutely no issues. Search on "SQL Server 2008 Support"

If you don't care about setting up databases, and have no interest in connections, I fail to see how you can blame a very good product for not working or even evaluate it effectively.

I didn't mean to blame your product - like I said its most likely SQL Server problem.

About the issues - I solved the problem and it was SQL Server configuration issue. I had originally chosen only windows-authentication mode for server and couldn't use any jdbc-connections. Allowing non-windows-authentication connections to SQL Server isn't really straightforward issue if you do not enable it in the beginning. I had to do numerous different tasks based on isolated hints all over the web. That's just what I don't want to do anymore - manually enabling options, searching clues, creating users etc. Opening ports. Still not working. More configuration changes etc. Differences between SS 2005 vs SS 2008 etc. Well finally I got everything set up after couple of days break.

This wouldn't have been a problem, if you provided windows-authentication or demonstration database included in the product. It's also possible that company policies do not allow anything else but windows-authentications. In any case it would be better for your product also allow windows-authentication.

My point was that you should pay attention to fast plug&play installation for evaluation. Something that lets totally clueless new user install your system, connect to database and play with demonstration data models in less than 15 minutes. Preferably with screenshot or step-by-step instructions for setting everything up. Even if the database is something that he/she doesn't know almost anything about and has used blindly default settings.

Problems using your product might be customers fault or some companies data management policies fault. No matter who messed up something its just better for your product to make sure that there is a plug&play connection to every major database with default-options. And/or if that fails for whatever reason you could provide additional demonstration databases and data models... Similar to Microsofts Adventureworks datawarehouse.

Pentaho, Talend and other open source datawarehouse tools could even use a common demonstration environment including basic OLTP, Datawarehouse and datamart databases for some imaginary company. Like university or high school student, employ, course datawarehouse. At least it would be familiar topic for students looking for open source solutions. Or if there is already one you might provide a link and instructions for setting it up to evaluate your product...
elad

shuki
elad

MikeAKnox wrote:Check out the Suggestion Forum

i don't agree with you
elad

google
RichardAu

This product does not connect to SQL server 2008 r2 full stop.

Power Architect does not connect using Jtds, does not connect with the JDBC that came with this application and does not connect with JDBC from Microsoft.

Integrated security does not work, and using SQL Server account does not work either.

TCP/IP and name pipe are enabled and the SQL instance is a localhost.

I am the system administrator on the computer and I am using a system administrator account on the SQL server just to test but still no go.
I have used the following connection strings:

jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost;

or

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost;

or

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost;integratedSecurity=yes;

or

jdbc:sqlserver://[put machine name here];
and provide SQL user login name and SQL server user login password

Have you guys actually checked this product before you released it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011-06-30 20:57:05

dcarter

I never connect Power Architect to sql server 2008, ya and i also listen that it does not support sql server so i don't think that you can connect them.ya maybe some other methods by which you can connect so i will search for them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2012-08-20 12:05:31

Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Discussion
Go to: