SQL Power Business Intelligence Productivity Tools

SQL Power Software Forum

SQL Power Software Forum

[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Error when attempting to create a transformation  XML
Forum Index » SQL Power DQguru Technical Support
Amanda Myer

When I try to create a transformation by clicking on "New Transformation" I get a popup window with the message "Couldn't create editor for selected component". The details of the error are:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to refresh step DCO Devices
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.munge.AbstractMungeComponent.<init>(AbstractMungeComponent.java:255)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.munge.SQLInputMungeComponent.<init>(SQLInputMungeComponent.java:40)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.SwingSessionContextImpl.getMungeComponent(SwingSessionContextImpl.java:594)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.munge.MungePen.buildComponents(MungePen.java:40
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.munge.MungePen.<init>(MungePen.java:233)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.MungeProcessEditor.<init>(MungeProcessEditor.java:129)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.MatchMakerTreeMouseAndSelectionListener.valueChanged(MatchMakerTreeMouseAndSelectionListener.java:450)
at javax.swing.JTree.fireValueChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTree$TreeSelectionRedirector.valueChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.notifyPathChange(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPaths(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPath(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JTree.setSelectionPath(Unknown Source)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.MatchMakerSwingSession$SelectRemoveEditorListener$1.run(MatchMakerSwingSession.java:1474)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'PROC'.
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.IOBuffer.processPackets(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.doExecutePreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement$PreparedStatementExecutionRequest.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.CancelableRequest.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.cursorOpen(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement$StatementExecutionRequest.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.CancelableRequest.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
at ca.sqlpower.sql.jdbcwrapper.StatementDecorator.executeQuery(StatementDecorator.java:97)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingStatement.java:205)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.munge.SQLInputStep.doOpen(SQLInputStep.java:187)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.munge.AbstractMungeStep.open(AbstractMungeStep.java:502)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.munge.AbstractMungeStep.open(AbstractMungeStep.java:480)
at ca.sqlpower.matchmaker.swingui.munge.AbstractMungeComponent.<init>(AbstractMungeComponent.java:251)
... 22 more

I get a lot of random errors with all three of the SQL Power Tools (Wabit, DQguru, and Power Architect). I have made sure I have the most recent version of java from java.com and I just downloaded the three tools from the SQLPower.ca website a few days ago. The database I am connecting to is on an SQL 2005 Server running the database in SQL 2000 mode. The connection manager says the connection tests successfully (I have it set to connect to SQL Server 2000).
Not sure what to do next?
Amanda Myer

I just wanted to add that I was running into errors using the Wabit tool as well, but downloaded the most recent version based on a post I saw in the wabit support forum that discussed problem with SQL objects that have names with spaces or dashes in them. The new version of Wabit that I have does not have any problems anymore.

The databse I am connecting to has a LOT of tables and columns that have spaces in their name and that must normally be referenced in queries by using brackets around them. Is it possible that this is the source of the problem? Is there a new version of DQguru or Power Architect that incorporates the same fix used in Wabit?

The post on the Wabit forum that described the problem and the resolution is: http://www.sqlpower.ca/forum/posts/list/2395.page

Thanks!
Jeff
SQL Power Developer
[Avatar]

The specific error you mentioned appears to be from executing an incorrectly generated SQL statement that the DQguru created.

I've never tried running DQguru in on a SQL Server 2005 instance in SQL Server 2000 mode, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the error.

Anyways, it's possible that the fix applied to the Wabit might have been applied to our common library code, so you could try one of the latest continuous build snapshots and see if it's fixed in there.

These are available at http://pag.sqlpower.ca:8080/hudson/job/power-matchmaker/

-Jeff
Amanda Myer

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the latest version of DQGuru from the link you supplied and tried it again, but I still get the same error.

I do not have this problem when connecting to another database on the same server that does not have spaces in it's column and table names.

Here is a test I did:
1) In the database that I am able to successfully connect to DQ Guru with and make transformations with, I created an empty table with the name "Test for DQguru" and gave it two columns "testID" (primary key, integer) and "testName" (varchar).

2) When I tried to make a transformation on this table, I get the same error as above.

3) I renamed the table to "TestForDQguru" and tried again, no problems.

4) I renamed the "testName" column to "test Name" and I get the error again.

Since this was all on the same database, there are no differences in what kind of driver it is using to connect to it. This is a MS SQL 2000 database running on a MS SQL 2005 server.

I think it is safe to assume this is an issue with the way DQ Guru handles tables names and columns names with spaces in them. It needs to put square brackets or quotes around them.

Jeff
SQL Power Developer
[Avatar]

I believe your assessment is correct.

I've filed this issue in the project's issue tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/power-matchmaker/issues/detail?id=13

Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to work on DQguru lately, so I'm not sure when this issue would get fixed. It is possible though that if the real problem is code in the SQL Power library, which is shared amongst all our projects, our other projects may be affected as well, in which case, we may have to fix it sooner.

Thank you for reporting this issue!

-Jeff

Forum Index » SQL Power DQguru Technical Support
Go to: