SQL Power Business Intelligence Productivity Tools

SQL Power Software Forum

SQL Power Software Forum

[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Trouble connecting to Oracle 10gr2  XML
Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Technical Support
Snabbles

I get the following error message when trying to connect to Oracle10gr2:
ca.sqlpower.architect.ArchitectException: Couldn't connect to database: Io exception: Connection refused(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=169870080)(ERR=12505)(ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12505)(EMFI=4)))) (cause: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection refused(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=169870080)(ERR=12505)(ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12505)(EMFI=4)))))

This is my first time using Power*Architect. Here is what I did:
1) Connection Menu->Database Connection manager->JDBC Drivers
2) Oracle 10g -> Add Jar -> Browsed to Oracle Home -> Picked classes111.jar
3) Connection Menu ->Add Source Connection ->New Connection -> Selected Oracle 10g. Entered Host, Port, Service, Account info.
Jeff
SQL Power Developer
[Avatar]

Hello,

From what I could tell by Googling that error message online, it seems the problem is indicated the CODE=12505 part, which indicates it's an ORA-12505 error.

Googling ORA-12505, I found this page (http://ora-12505.ora-code.com/)

ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor
Cause: The listener received a request to establish a connection to a database or other service. The connect descriptor received by the listener specified a SID for an instance (usually a database instance) that either has not yet dynamically registered with the listener or has not been statically configured for the listener. This may be a temporary condition such as after the listener has started, but before the database instance has registered with the listener.
Action:

- Wait a moment and try to connect a second time.

- Check which instances are currently known by the listener by executing: lsnrctl services <listener name>

- Check that the SID parameter in the connect descriptor specifies an instance known by the listener.

- Check for an event in the listener.log file.

Do you know which version of the Oracle JDBC driver you are using? Usually I use the one for Oracle 10.2.0.1 that is provided by the file ojdbc14.jar and it usually works fine. I usually try to make sure my driver version matches my database version, as I've had bad experiences using Oracle drivers with a different version number from the database platform. So I would make sure that you're at least using an Oracle 10g JDBC driver.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009-01-23 13:33:40

-Jeff
Snabbles

I'm still having problems although I think i'm further along. I realized that I was pointing to the 9i JDBC JAR file. I corrected that to point to the oracle home that contains the 10gr2 JDBC JAR file (classes12.jar)

I'm still getting the same error even though my host, port, and sid are correct. I think part of my problem is that I am working in an oracle rac environment that uses ldap name resolution. I don't normally connect to a single host. Instead I connect to a service and it points me to the correct host.

I isolated one of the rac nodes and used it's info for the host-ip, port, and sid and received the same 12505 error, but in a more friendly format:
ca.sqlpower.architect.ArchitectException: Couldn't connect to database: Listener refused the connection with the following error:
ORA-12505, TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

The jdbc url I provided was:
jdbc:oracle:thin:@aaaa.bbbb.cccc.dddd:1521:insert_sid_name_here

I'm not really sure what to try next as I know my host, port and sid are correct.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2009-01-23 15:55:42

Jeff
SQL Power Developer
[Avatar]

I should note that I'm not all that proficient with Oracle so I'm only really posting what I've found on Google.

From what I've read, I'm guessing the next step would be to try running the 'lsnrctl services' on your Oracle server to figure out if the SID that you are specifying is known by the TNS listener

-Jeff
Jonathan
SQL Power Developer

I think I've seen the SID be case sensitive before when connecting by JDBC. It's definitely not always case sensitive, but perhaps there are some magical combinations of backend and driver versions that make it so.

-Jonathan

Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Technical Support
Go to: