SQL Power Business Intelligence Productivity Tools

SQL Power Software Forum

SQL Power Software Forum

[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Power Architect v0.9.12-rc3 "XML Parsing error in Project File"  XML
Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Technical Support
Squills

Hi,

Great product by the way.
I'm getting the following error when I open up a previously saved project
"There is an XML parsing error in project file at Line:496 Column: 114"

Version:v0.9.12-rc3
Also tried in nightly build version:0.9.13-20081203185740 but error persists.

OS=Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, SP3

The project file in question is attached, it is not confidential.
 Filename VTEC2.architect [Disk] Download
 Description Project file which causes xml parsing error
 Filesize 60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  159 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2008-12-15 06:05:19

Jeff
SQL Power Developer
[Avatar]

Hi there,

Just to make sure, was this project file also created with 0.9.12 RC3, or with an older version?

-Jeff
thomasobrien
SQL Power Developer

Hi Squills,

I took a look at your project file and found three entries near the end that was missing table references. If you open up your file with a text editor and go to the bottom you should see several lines that look like:
<table-pane table-ref="" x="189" y="251" bgColor="0xf0f0f0" fgColor="0x000000" rounded="false" dashed="false"/>. If you remove the lines that have an empty table-ref (I found three of them in your file) then you should be able to load the file again.

Looking at the file my guess is that three tables were deleted from the play pen before you saved but the tables were not removed correctly. Do you remember anything unusual happening when you tried to delete a table recently?

I have also committed a check for this in Architect. If it happens again in the future we should be able to get more information from the logs.

Thomas
Squills

Hi, thankyou for your swift response

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention. I deleted a table from the playpen but it did not disappear from the playpen, but when I tried to delete it again, the delete option could not be highlighted. The project was created using RC3 yes.

I removed the offending lines (with an empty table-ref) and this corrected the problem.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2008-12-05 05:00:52

Jeff
SQL Power Developer
[Avatar]

Hello,

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet, so it's proving difficult to fix. Have you been able to determine a step-by-step process that would reproduce this problem?

-Jeff
Squills

I'm afraid I can't establish a run of events that causes it. It happened again when using version 0.9.13-20081209173521, however this time I couldn't save the project because of the error. Incidently, I often get a Windows low virtual memory warning on my computer although I can't say that this happens when I get the Power Architect XML parsing error or if they are related to each other. I appreciate that troubleshooting when you cannot replicate the problem is tricky. I shall try and narrow it down.
Not sure if this will help but I'm attaching an architect file that won't open due to a SAX exception, I made this project with 0.9.13-alpha, I have backups though so it's no biggie.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2008-12-15 06:00:15

Squills

Can't attach files for some reason

This message was edited 11 times. Last update was at 2008-12-17 05:24:16

Jeff
SQL Power Developer
[Avatar]

Hmm, did this 'low virtual memory' warning occur both times the table delete failed? If so, then I suspect that there is a connection. It could very well be causing the table deletion to fail, although whether it is the Power*Architect that is using up all your system memory is another question.

Can't attach files for some reason

That's really strange. I checked the forum permissions and they look right. What happens when you try to attach files? Do you even see the 'Attach Files' button near the bottom next to the 'Submit' button?

-Jeff
Squills

Yes the Attach Files button is there and I can select a file to upload, I select the file and click submit but the attachment does not become associated with the message. Could be trouble my end of course (firewall etc).

I haven't been able to reliably associate the low memory condition with the delete-table-saving error so it's mere speculation but I will try and keep an eye on it, if no-one else can recreate the error then I suspect it is my low memory.

Forum Index » SQL Power Architect Technical Support
Go to: