SQL Power Business Intelligence Productivity Tools

SQL Power Software Forum

SQL Power Software Forum

[Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pentaho on a Teradata Platform  XML
Forum Index » Pentaho Technical Support
Anonymous

I have a Teradata based EDW with Microstrategy and a need to implement a new query service for hundreds of users. The high license costs for the new Microstrategy users is holding-up approval of the project. What I have read about Pentaho suggests I can avoid the upfront licence charges of traditional proprietary software.

What Pentaho components are required to replace MicroStrategy?

What are the prerequisites (software release levels, etc..) to run Pentaho on my EDW?

What is the process to test that a Pentaho powered solution will work on my EDW?
supermario

Hi Anonymous,

Yes Pentaho has some fantastic technical and economic advantages over traditional proprietary BI vendors like Microstrategy. The Pentaho components that you need, depend on how you were planning to use Microstrategy; probably a combination of Pentaho Reporting, Pentaho Analysis and Pentaho Dashboards. All of these tools are in open source. For a case study of a Microstrategy customer who used Pentaho Data Integration (ETL), please refer to http://www.pentaho.org/news/releases/20070321_ziprealty_deploys_pentaho_for_etl.php

The Pentaho Open BI Suite is a free download of an open source BI platform, with some demo data and sample reports/analytics/dashboards; a real working demo of a BI solution. Two documents will help you greatly; “Getting Started” and later “Creating Solutions”. You can download all from here: http://www.pentaho.org/download/ We suggest you use the Generally Available versions. You can connect this application to your own data source (in your case Teradata), build reports/analytics, and you have your own working BI solution. Our most successful customers get training and support from Pentaho/SQL Power, early in the process.

In terms of software release versions to run on your environment, all you basically care about is the Java Virtual Machine version, and the JDBC version, irrespective of operating system versions etc. I'm pretty sure you'll have very little trouble getting the Pentaho free download version working in your environment for eval purposes.

In terms of a process for evaluating the Microstrategy replacement or getting Pentaho to co-exist with Microstrategy, you need to grab the Pentaho download and have a conversation with us about your needs.

Pls feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions:
Mario Di Giovanni, Senior BI/DW Consultant
mario@sqlpower.ca
416-726-5605

If you need more information on the Pentaho subscription you can contact:
Jonathan Seper
jseper@pentaho.org
407-517-6209

(kudos to my buddies at Pentaho who contributed to this response: Jonathan Seper, Senior Account Manager and Lance Walter, VP Marketing)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2007-05-31 21:23:06

Anonymous

Thanks for the help with the MicroStrategy question. I have another for you.

With Teradata Miner 5.1 we can now run any PMML analytical models on our Teradata system. We were surprised at the high licensing costs to run SAS and KXEN on Teradata. This prompted me to do some research to find a cheaper data mining engine to run on my Teradata EDW.

I found that WEKA is the Pentaho Data Mining engine. Can I run WEKA on Teradata? If not, why not? If so, how do I go about doing it? Can Pentaho-WEKA execute my PMML models against the data I have in my Teradata data warehouse?
supermario

i posted your question to the Pentaho forum. Here's the response:

http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?p=164676#post164676

cheers.

Forum Index » Pentaho Technical Support
Go to: